1. Lose weight
2. Save money
3. Exercise more
4. Get organized
5. Quit smoking
Those are the most popular New Year’s resolutions from 2019. I can’t directly help you with most of those but getting organized is my thing and believe I can help anyone. There is one small caveat though: you can’t organize clutter.
Let me say that again: You can’t organize clutter.
If you want your home to be more organized but aren’t willing to part with your Doc Marten’s from college or every single outfit your kids have worn, you aren’t going to get very far. Your frustration will grow until you feel like a total failure and give up altogether.
Decluttering is the very important first step in getting organized. Here are the very basic steps:
1. Remove everything from the space
2. Remove the trash (loosely defined as anything that has outlived its usefulness)
3. Sort what is left into loose categories
4. Determine if what is left should be stored in that location and relocate what does not
5. Return remaining items to the space
It is really that simple.
Do you want to get more organized this year? Join the Neat as a Pin Declutter Challenge by going to www.neatasapin.net/declutter
If that is too much, take it step-by-step and area by area.
Slow and steady wins the race!