In my career as a Certified Professional Organizer®, I have organized more kitchen than I can count. One thing is consistent across the board: we have too much stuff and don’t have a clue where to draw the line.
Today I am going to draw the line for you. Here is a list of kitchen tools and gadgets that every kitchen should have. Whether you are just starting out or have the same measuring cup you received as a wedding gift 30 years ago, this will give you an idea of what you need.
Here we go!
1. Basting brush (1-2)
2. Citrus press (1)
3. Cutting boards (3): 1 wooden for fruit and vegetables, 1 plastic for raw meat and fish, 1 small board dedicated to garlic and onion so their flavors won’t leach into other foods
4. Vegetable peeler (1)
5. Colanders (2): 1 large and 1 small
6. Ice cream scoop (1)
7. Liquid measuring cups (2): choose transparent glass in two sizes
8. Graters (2): 1 handled grater for grating at the table and 1 box grater for grating cheese and shredding vegetables
9. Dry measuring cups (1set)
10. Measuring spoons (1 set)
11. Melon baller (1)
12. Mixing bowls (1 set)
13. Pizza cutter (1)
14. Salad spinner (1)
15. Kitchen scale (1)
16. Spatulas (6): set of 3 silicone spatulas for batter and transferring mixtures, 2 various sized flat metal spatulas, and 1 wedge shaped spatula for serving cake
17. Meat thermometer (1)
18. Kitchen timer (1)
19. Tongs (1 pair)
20. Wooden spoons (2-3)
21. Whisk (1)
Of course, there are hundreds of other gadgets that you can buy. And some people need more kitchen gear than others, but this is a great place to start.
Know what you have in your drawers, know which pieces you love using, get rid of what is taking up space, then turn your kitchen into a wonderland where you love to work and make meals.