|BROWSE BY CATEGORY:|
Laying it on the Table...
Your mom always told you to eat your veggies, but the truth is that most people don't get enough of them in their diet. When you skip out on vegetables, you are missing lots of vitamins and minerals as well as some fiber. Here are some easy ways to up the veggie consumption in your household.
- Try your spinach raw. If your kids will eat salad, spinach leaves blend in nicely!
- Stir fry in a little olive oil or grill. This adds a different flavor than regular steaming.
- Puree and add them to spaghetti sauce. Add small pieces to casseroles.
- Keep frozen veggies on hand. They have about as much nutritional value as fresh and they are quick, convenient and cost effective.
- Add raw veggies to sandwiches such as sliced carrots, bell peppers or sprouts.
- Double the amount of veggies in soup recipes.
- Add veggies to rice. After all, you should eat two times the amount of veggies compared to starches.
- Add some low fat salad dressing to raw veggies for dipping and a bit of flavor.
- Broil sliced zucchini or squash with some olive oil, garlic powder and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Drink vegetable juice.
- Make zucchini or carrot muffins.
- Make a veggie and low fat cheese quesadilla.
- Ask you kids to choose a veggie of the week. Try something new!