Eight Pointers for Encouraging Positive Sibling Relationships
1. Do not compare children. Each child is uniquely created. When parents compare kids, it leads to rivalry.
2. Train kids to share. One day the child will need to share with a roommate or spouse.
3. Encourage empathy. Listen well.
4. Build confidence. Be cheerleaders for one another.
5. Help one another. Train children to ask and be willing to receive assistance with homework, chores, and other tasks.
6. Serve others as a family. When families work together to help others less fortunate, there’s a great sense of blessing and gratitude.
7. Trust is foundational in families. Home needs to be a place where confidences are kept.
8. Plan family fun nights. Enjoy each other’s company! Laugh together!
There are few greater things than to have family members that are not only civil to one another, but actually like to be together. Unfortunately, we all tend to save our worst behaviors for the ones we love the most. Expect your children to do better, to love unconditionally and to always exhibit kindness. Sibling congeniality, it’s a gift that will keep on giving for years to come.
Back To Top